Well, here we are. Another school year. But if you would’ve asked any one of us one year ago if we thought this year would be basically the opposite of anything we’ve ever known before I think we would’ve all say no way!
And yet, this is the craziest start to the school year that any of us have likely seen.
Back to what I always say is that love and food can help mend a heart, help motivate, help everyone feel connected. Now, parents have a lot on their plates right now. Juggling like never before. And we know that these kiddos need to have easily accessible food at their fingertips to grab during their e-learning. Also, if you’re a parent working from home you probably don’t have time for an elaborate breakfast or lunch for yourself or your kids.
Enter: Skillet Granola.
It’s much simpler and faster than oven granola and the perfect easy thing to make and have on hand. It’s totally customizable, it can be nut free, dairy free, gluten free and is naturally vegan. It’s a super nourishing way to start your day and what kiddo doesn’t like a yogurt and granola parfait with some berries to start their school day?
Allergy Adaptable to be free from the top-8 food allergens
Makes about 3 1/2 cups granola
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil, butter or olive oil
- 1/4 c. maple syrup
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. gluten free oats
- 1 1/2 c. mixture of favorite raw seeds and/or nuts
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- pinch salt
- *optional add ins: reishi powder, collagen, dried berries (add any of these in along with the cinnamon and salt as instructed in sept 4)
- Add the coconut oil and maple syrup to a large saute pan and turn to medium on the stove.
- Once bubbling slightly add the vanilla extract and stir gently.
- Add the oats and the seed/nut mixture and toss to coat completely with the maple syrup mixture. Continue stirring occasionally for 7-8 minutes over medium-low heat until toasted.
- Sprinkle in the cinnamon and the pinch of salt, stir and pour onto a rimmed baking sheet to cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.