Having spent a lot of time in the mountains in winter I have come to love mulled wine. The smell of the house in itself is intoxicating with the perfume of cinnamon and star anise swirling through the red wine. And a warm mug of mulled wine is the best welcome into a warm house with red, rosy cheeks and a cold nose.
It’s also a fun gift! Add the spices to a bottle of wine and pour into a pretty glass jar. Leave directions to warm the contents for about 30 minutes to an hour and, voila, a great winter housewarming gift!
And if you would prefer something non-alcoholic then you can use the same exact recipe with apple cider. Equally delicious and tummy warming.
Free From the Top-9, Low-Fodmap
Prep Time: 5 minutes plus simmering
- 1 bottle middle of the road red wine (don’t use a $5 bottle but also don’t use a $50 bottle!)
- 1/4 c. Grand Marnier
- 1 orange, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 8 allspice balls
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 star anise
- additional oranges and cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a small pot and bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30-60 minutes.
- Ladle into mugs and enjoy warm!