I have an interesting relationship with protein shakes…..they have been the trendy thing now for years. Easy? yes. Sweet? yes. Great for our fast paced lifestyles? Yes. But to me they also always seemed cloying, too thick and then never really sat well in my belly. And depending on what protein powder you are using it might be full of a bunch of junk. Processed additives that you would otherwise really not want to consume.
But, for our clients and kids who might be picky and don’t love breakfast? They’re an awesome way to get them to slurp down something that’s pretty tasty and also blended with secret vegetables, tee-hee! It’s certainly a better option than nothing at all and it’s at least a way, if they’re made well, to get in a serving or two of fruits and maybe even some vegetables!
Lately, for me, not being able to have anything that’s really grab and go (thank you, SIBO) has been tricky. My life is pretty busy and on the especially fast paced days I found that I was craving something that I could just easily throw together in a blender or, even better if I prepared ahead of time, just pull out of the fridge and sip!
This smoothie is very light. You’ll see I start with a simple base of a low-fodmap/SIBO friendly recipe and then list out other things you can add to pump it up more or thicken it. However you end up enjoying this, it’s a happy little springtime smoothie that puts a smile on my face every time I have it!
Stay safe out there, Drizzlers!
Blueberry Vanilla Smoothie
Allergy Adaptable to be Free From the Top-9 Food Allergens, low-fodmap/SIBO friendly
Makes 2 Smoothies
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 2 c. almond or hemp milk, prepared with just almonds or hemp seeds + purified water
- 1 c. fresh or frozen blueberies
- 1 Tbs. pure vanilla extract
- big handful baby spinach leaves (Phase 1 SIBO allows 15 spinach leaves per serving, so depending on where you are in your SIBO journey be sure to check the allotment)
- 7-8 drops stevia or pure liquid monk fruit for low-fodmap/SIBO, if you can have sugar 2 dates are delicious in here!
- 5-6 ice cubes
- 4 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen
- Optional Ingredients that are awesome, depending on your health journey! Banana, handful frozen strawberries, scoop of your favorite nut or seed butter. Seeds and powders are also awesome ways to jazz it up! 1 Tbsp. flaxseed or 2 tsp. chia seeds are great ways to up that omega-3 quotient of the smoothie also!
- Add everything except the collagen to a blender base and the turn on.
- Let it whir until it’s a silky smooth, light blue color.
- Add the collagen and pulse just to combine.
- Pour into two glasses and enjoy!
Happy Foods are the Best Foods!