The other week a nut free company sent me their version of hazelnut free and nut free Nutella. I was skeptical. But then I tried a little on a spoon. And then I had another spoonful, and another. It is so delicious!!!! So I just knew I had to make some holiday recipes with it! On my instagram page I have a recipe for Nut Free Nutella Dupe Muddy Buddies (whoa, had to give it away to prevent me from eating it all!).
And today, to kick off our 12 days of Cookies I give you Sparkling Chocolate Thumbprints filled with Voyage Hazelnut Free Chocolate Spread. Now, of course if you are able to and prefer Nutella go for it! Or if you’d rather fill with raspberry jam, yum! Sunflower seed spread, peanut butter, berry jams are all super delicious fillings for this if you’d prefer that instead. For me? I’m loading up with this new spread from Voyage so I can safely bring it to holiday events!
Anything I need to know about the cookie dough?
Yes. It will spread a little bit, so use the smallest scoop you have. When I recipe tested I used my medium scoop and they were super flat. Second time used the small scoop and a ton better! You are looking for about a tablespoon of dough. Gently roll in your hands and then coat in sugar. use your pointer finger to indent and then press together any cracks that formed on the outside of the cookie from pushing your finger into it.
Be sure to allow the dough to completely cool before moving the cookies. They are very very tender until they set and cool. I definitely love a warm cookie and tried to eat a warm one first go…and it crumbled as I ate it, ha!
Can I freeze the dough?
You can portion out the cookies, roll them in sugar and press the indent in and THEN freeze them. But start by freezing on parchment in a single layer on a sheet. Then once solid you can pop them into a resealable bag and bake from frozen, just add 4-5 minutes to your baking time. Alternatively you can bake the cookies, don’t fill them, and freeze that way.
Sparkling Chocolate Thumbprints
Allergy Adaptable to be Free From the Top-14
Prep Time: 30 minutes + time for filling
Makes: between 40-42 cookies
- 1 1/2 c. all purpose gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum-omit if your gluten free flour blend already has it
- 1 Tbsp. tapioca starch
- 1/2 c. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 c. unsalted butter or vegan butter sub for dairy free (I prefer to use Miyokos for dairy free or Melt for Top-9 free), softened
- 1 c. sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar, for rolling
- Voyage Hazelnut Free Chocolate Seed Spread (or your favorite filling based on the notes above), for filling
- 1/2 c. mini White Chocolate chips, for drizzling
- 1/2 tsp. oil, if using the white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 and line 2 sheet trays with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the gluten free flour blend, xanthan gum (if needed), tapioca starch, cocoa powder and sea salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, whip the unsalted butter or dairy free butter sub of choice for 1-2 minutes until fluffy.
- Add the sifted powdered sugar and mix 1-2 minutes. It should get a little fluffier but not crazy amounts.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until blended evenly, another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture and blend until thoroughly combined, 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the 1/2 c. sugar into a small bowl. Scoop out the dough, roll in the sugar and then press your pointer finger gently to create the well. Press together any edges that split or get crackled to make sure the outside of the cookie is smooth before baking.
- Place a little scoop of the Voyage Hazelnut Free Chocolate Seed Spread (about 1 tsp.) in the well.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Cool completely before removing to a cookie rack.
- If you want to drizzle with the white chocolate, melt together the white chips with the 1/2 tsp. oil at 30 second intervals in the microwave until smooth. Lightly drizzle over the cookies and let set.
- Store cookies in the fridge to last a couple days or just fill the day you plan to serve and leave at room temp!