Today’s recipe is a quick and delicious one! I was craving a little sweet snack the other day and wanted something (1) fast to throw together (2) just sweet enough to curb my sugar craving and (3) had some nutrient density to it. Well, I’m pretty sure these little gems cover all those bases!
If you haven’t jumped onto the date train yet, all aboard! I LOVE dates. They are little powerhouses of minerals and pack a deliciously sweet bite. But, unlike candy, they have minerals and fiber all wrapped up inside so while they do contain sugar it’s there are more things your body needs to navigate through rather than just pure cane sugar like a piece of chocolate or candy, it slows the absorption of the sugar and prevents that sugar crash. I also love adding a protein and some more fiber to the date itself, slowing the digestion of the sugar even more!
Previously, before a workout, I was eating a spoonful of nut or seed butter and then grabbing a date for the road. But I thought, why not put them together into a delicious little bite? And here we go!! Make a bunch of these, they’ll go fast!
Snickers Stuffed Dates
Free from the top-9 food allergens
- 8 medjool dates
- 1/4 c. favorite seed or nut butter
- 1/4 c. Enjoy Life Foods dark chocolate morsels
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sunflower seeds
- flaky sea salt
- Optional add-ins to the seed or nut butter: collagen powder, toasted coconut flakes
- Cut a slice just on one side of the date, remove the pit and then open it up a little like a clamshell so you have a surface to hold the seed butter.
- Stuff the dates with your seed or nut butter using a tiny spoon and place back on a plate lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave at 30 second intervals until smooth.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate all over the stuffed dates, sprinkle with the sunflower seeds and then finish with a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Pop in the fridge until set and enjoy!
*Keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. These are also delicious frozen!!