This recipe request was overwhelming from you all, my Drizzlers. And it made me soooo happy! I LOVE SWEET POTATOES. And what preparation method do I love with sweet potatoes?
Not to mention, it’s super duper easy. But what I’ve realized is that there are a few little tricks many of you are missing. (1) If you have convection, use that baby! It will help circulate the air around the fries better yielding a crispier fry. (2) Line your trays with parchment paper. Unlike foil or even just using a greased glass dish or metal baking tray parchment paper actually absorbs a little bit of water and prevents it from steaming like the others mentioned tend to do. Result? Crispier fry. (3) Toss your fries with a little bit of starch (see recipe). It absorbs a tiny bit of water as well and creates that crispy coating that makes sweet potato fries so special.
**And, btw, if you have celiac/gluten sensitivity/wheat allergy you should 100% double check about sweet potato fries when you are ordering takeout or at a restaurant. Most often they are coated in flour!**
Enough blabbing, lets get you the recipe for this easy and freaking delicious tuber!
Stay safe out there, Drizzlers
Crispy Sweet Potato Oven Fries
Vegan and Free from Top-9, corn, mustard
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed but peel kept on
- 1/3 c. starch (any of these will work: tapioca starch, arrowroot, potato starch)
- olive oil
- Optional flavor additions: ground cumin, smoky paprika, garlic powder, truffle salt, truffle oil (to finish)
- Preheat oven for convection: 375, traditional: 400. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half then in thin wedges.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a large bowl and sprinkle the starch over the top. Toss with your hands until each fry is lightly coated. Divide equally between the 2 baking sheets and spread out.
- Spray liberally with olive oil or drizzle to lightly coat. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning trays halfway throughout.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
Happy Foods are the Best Foods!