Comfort food is definitely what many of us are turning to right now, myself included! And I realized that one of the most basic and most delicious sauces, béchamel, is one that many don’t have the recipe for or the technique.
Don’t worry, Drizzlers! This is an easy one for you to tackle and along with mastering how to make it you’ll be able to do some really fun things. A few of my favorite ways to enjoy this white sauce: add some crushed roasted garlic cloves and serve as a vegetable dip, add your favorite shredded cheese or dairy free cheese shreds and toss with noodles to make macaroni and cheese, add some garlic and onion powder and serve along side cajun spiced chicken as a fun sauce to dunk! Plus so many more things, you can use it as a base for a cream soup or even for a baked rice dish!
This is also a really great sauce to make allergy adaptable. It morphs seamlessly from containing dairy and gluten to being totally free of those things. So get ready for some tasty comfort food that you can master at home now. Boxed macaroni and cheese? A thing of the (non-quarantine) past!
Stay healthy out there, Drizzlers!
Free From Top-8, mustard, corn, potato and sesame
Makes approximately 3 cups
- 3 T. allergy free butter substitute (or unsalted butter)
- 3-4 T. gluten free flour* (or all purpose flour)
- 2 ½-3 cups unsweetened, plain rice milk (or cow milk)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
- Melt the allergy free butter in a medium saucepan.
- Sprinkle in 3 T. flour and whisk together for 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly drizzle in 2 ½ cups of the rice milk and continue whisking over medium heat until sauce is thickened. Add more milk if you would like a thinner sauce. Or if the sauce is too thin to begin with sprinkle a little flour over the top and whisk until combined, simmer for another 1-2 minutes.
- Season with salt and use right away or store in fridge for 4-5 days until ready to use.
*I find a single gluten free flour is best in this rather than a gluten free flour blend. You don’t want to use something with starch or a gum as it will result in a gummy mixture rather than a smooth sauce.
Happy Foods are the Best Foods!