Once springtime hits all I want is lemon with everything. Lemon squeezed over my vegetables with my eggs in the morning, lemon in my water, lemon tea, lemon chicken salad, lemon roasted chicken, lemon on my salmon and then, of course, lemon desserts!
It’s such a fresh and bright miracle of a food. Lemons are just delicious! Full of flavor but also Vitamin C, this little powerhouse is deliciousness from the skin outside to the juice inside. I’ll be posting more citrus based recipes as spring takes hold, but to get us started let’s look at this pretty little cake which, in my opinion, would be the perfect dessert for Easter next weekend!
Double Lemon Olive Oil Cake
Allergy Adaptable to be Free From the Top-9 Food Allergens, Vegan
Prep Time: 15 minutes + 50 minutes baking
- 2/3 c. olive oil
- 1/2 c. applesauce (or if you can have eggs-4 eggs, room temperature)
- 1 c. dairy free milk (or if you can have cow dairy-1 c. whole milk)
- 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 1/2 c. gluten free all purpose flour (be sure it includes xanthan or guar gum and if not please add 1 1/2 tsp. xanthan or 1 Tbsp. guar)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 c. sifted powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- Optional: lemon slices, fresh mint and blackberries for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease the inside of a 10 cup bundt pan and sprinkle with flour, shake to coat all around and tap out excess flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the olive oil, applesauce (or room temp eggs), dairy free milk (or whole milk), fresh lemon juice, fresh lemon zest, granulated sugar and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- In another large bowl whisk together the all purpose flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared bundt pan and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, turning halfway through to make sure it cooks evenly.
- Cool 30 minutes and then invert cake onto a plate and give it a few taps to loosen.
- After cake is cooled, about 2 hours, prepare the lemon drizzle by whisking together the sifted powder sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add a bit more powdered sugar depending on how thick you’d like the drizzle to be. Use a spoon and drizzle all over the top, allowing it to naturally drip over the sides.
- Decorate, if desired, slice and enjoy!
Happy Foods are the Best Foods!