My boyfriend and I recently went on one of the most incredible trips, sailing around the British Virgin Islands. He grew up on sailboats and I love sunshine so it seemed like a perfect vacation. It was so much more than that!! We truly weren’t prepared for the beauty of living in bathing suits and coverups, eating plantains at local little huts on islands we sailed to, riding mopeds around and drinking rum with the locals. Not to mention the water that was so turquoise it looked fake!
One of my favorite things we ate while there was a delicious little breakfast bar. Not quite a granola bar since it’s pretty soft and needs to be refrigerated but not quite a cookie because it’s not baked. It was so delicious, light but also kept me full and satisfied when everyone else was eating gluten-full paninis.
Dried apricots that you soak in hot water and then blend with honey and vanilla make up the base. You can use tahini or watermelon seed butter as the base. They both work the exact same and lend the exact same subtle flavor! Then mix in some oats, toasted pumpkin seeds, sunflower or sesame seeds, flax and salt and it’s a fun new way to enjoy a morning bar. Wrap them up individually and you’ve got a great breakfast or hearty snack at your fingertips. Now if I could just transport myself back to the islands every time I eat one…..
Chewy Apricot Breakfast Bars
Free from the Top-8, adaptable to be free from sesame
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 12 Bars
- 2/3 c. packed, dried apricots
- 1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp. tahini or unsweetened pumpkin seed butter
- 2 c. quick cooking gluten free oats
- 1/2 c. pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds or 1/4 c. toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp. flaxmeal
- pinch of sea salt
- Soak the apricots in a bowl of boiling water for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the apricots to the bowl of a food processor and process until chopped well. Add the honey, vanilla extract and tahini or pumpkin seed butter and process until smooth. Scrape into a bowl.
- Add the gluten free oats, toasted pumpkin seeds, toasted sesame seeds or sunflower seeds, flax meal and pinch of salt.
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper, scoop the bar mixture in there and smooth down. I like to use the back of a spatula to roughly smooth down, then place a piece of parchment on top and really press down.
- Let the bar mixture set for about an hour then cut into bars and wrap individually for easy grab and go!