With the Super Bowl right around the corner I’ve been thinking about some fun and new things to make. Of course there are the usual suspects, chips + guac, pizza, wings. Jalapeño Poppers can often be part of that list. However, they are often not gluten free, are deep fried or full of a bunch of junk.
Well, I’ve been doing some fun work with the brand, Cloudies, and they tasked me with a Super Bowl recipe. And this one is SO fun! Rather than stuffing the jalapeños fully with cream cheese that can make them heavier I decided to lighten them up with a mixture of cream cheese plus greek yogurt then added minced green onion, salt and pepper and optional chipotle powder. Wrapped that in a cheddar Cloudies and then wrapped that in a piece of bacon. What is NOT to like about that fun situation?!
This is also the simplest recipe. The hardest part is really scooping the seeds out of the jalapeño- so that tells you the ease factor of this. How do we get that filling inside without a mess you might be wondering? Scoop the cream cheese-yogurt mixture into a baggie, press down into the corner, snip off the edge and voila! Easy peasy.
Now go get your ingredients and get ready for game time!
Cloudies Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers
Makes: 10 Poppers
Prep Time: 20 minutes plus baking
- 5 jalapeños
- ½ c. cream cheese, softened
- ½ c. greek yogurt
- 2 green onions, finely minced
- ⅛ tsp. Salt
- *Optional 1/8 tsp. ground chipotle powder
- 10 Cheddar Cloudies
- 10 pieces thin sliced bacon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a piece of parchment paper or foil on a rimmed baking sheet and place a wire rack on top.
- Slice the jalapeños in half, trying to keep a bit of the stem on both halves.
- Use a small spoon to scoop out the seeds and all the white pith. Discard.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the softened cream cheese, greek yogurt, green onions and salt. Scoop into a small baggie.
- Snip the end of the baggie and fill each of the 10 halves of jalapeños with the mixture. (you can also do this with a spoon but the baggie makes life much easier and cleaner!)
- Use a rolling pin to gently flatten the cloudies and then wrap them around the filled jalapeños.
- Wrap the bacon around the Cloudies, making sure to have the end wrapped on the bottom to keep it from curling up.
- Bake on the rack at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes, cool 5-7 minutes and serve!