Sometimes occasions call for a chocolate cake. And sometimes you just want to eat chocolate cake, because, as I like to say it’s somebody’s birthday somewhere so I should have cake anytime I want to celebrate with them 😉
The occasion for this specific cake was a celebration of all the summer birthdays in my family. We used to do individual gatherings for everything, however, with all the nieces and nephews it gets too difficult to organize everyone that often! So what this means is that I need to craft a fun and special menu that will celebrate everyones birthday as well as be pleasing to adults and kids alike. And what appeals to more people than, you guessed it, CHOCOLATE CAKE!
But, let’s be honest, the cake is simply a transporter of frosting from the plate to your mouth. And with that being said, here is my favorite vegan chocolate frosting recipe. No matter who you make it for they will (1) have no clue it is vegan and (2) ask for seconds. It’s proven.
· 4 T. room temperature coconut oil (not melted at all!)*
· 4 T. spectrum butter flavored shortening or dairy free margarine**
· 3 T. best quality cocoa powder (Valrhona or Scharffenberger are both lovely)
· 1 pound powdered sugar, sifted (approximately 4 c.)
· 1 vanilla bean, scraped OR 1 t. pure vanilla extract
· 1 shot espresso, chilled
· almond or rice milk to thin out frosting, about 3-4 T.