There are many nights that I come home late from a 12 hour work day and barely have time to cook for myself. Yes, yes, it’s true- the cobblers kids have no shoes…..the chefs mouth is never fed….. So, my solution to this problem is to always have a few things on hand that I can throw together at last minute’s notice. Some of those things are- frozen fruits for my smoothies, quinoa flakes to make my morning porridge, baby greens/avocados/almonds to make a quick lunch or dinner, tempeh/tofu/beans to add some vegan protein to a dish, and of course chocolate (seriously, did you NOT see that coming?)
So, one of my favorite meals to throw together quickly is a mixed baby greens salad with avocado/ toasted nuts/ whatever extra vegetables are lying in my kitchen and bbq tempeh. Now, for some of you the thought of eating tempeh might be a little overwhelming (and some of you might not even know what tempeh is! Check out my favorite brand here), so you may certainly substitute shrimp or chicken -two things that are SUPER easy to keep on hand at all times in the freeze.
After reading this post, a good practice for you might be to think of 1-2 dinners that are relatively non-perishable that you can keep on hand at all times for a quick “throw together” dinner for those nights in which you maybe forgot to stop at the grocery store or if you get home late, etc. Maybe try incorporating some bbq tempeh to your diet. It’s tasty, super filling, and loaded with fiber!
- 1 package gluten free tempeh, cut into 12 pieces (lengthwise)
- 1 T. olive oil
- ½ cup gluten free bbq sauce
- *Extra bbq sauce for serving
- Preheat large nonstick pan over medium heat 1 minute. Add the olive oil and heat another 30 seconds.
- Add the tempeh in a single layer and cook until lightly browned, 5-6 minutes. Turn over and cook the other side 5-6 minutes as well.
- Add half the bbq sauce and cook a few minutes on one side. Turn over and add the remaining ¼ c. bbq sauce and cook another few minutes until the sauce is thick and caramelized. Serve with extra bbq dipping sauce.
Happy Healthy Eating- kendra