Back to school… dah dah daaaaaah.
So, another school year is upon us. For kids that means another year full of homework, sports practices and tests. And for parents that means another year full of making sure homework is done, picking up kids from practices, making breakfasts, packing lunches all the while keeping your sanity!
Meals tend to be tricky during the school year, with all the different schedules, kids picky tastes and little time to prepare food. During the school year I have many parents who ask me for simple, family friendly recipes that can be made relatively quickly. The following recipe is one of my absolute favorites. Not only because it encompasses two of my favorites- chocolate and breakfast- but because it can be prepared for breakfast, lunch or dinner! And it can be frozen and reheated quickly…..easy peasy lemon squeezy!
I also love sharing easy breakfast recipes with parents as breakfast is extremely important. Especially for kids who need to focus during school. There are many studies that show children who eat any sort of breakfast perform better in school than those who do not. And make it a healthy breakfast, even better, as they don’t crash too quickly from a sugary breakfast treat. So, enjoy the following recipe knowing that it is tasty, your kids will enjoy it, and you are helping them with a great start to their day!
Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Pancakes
· 6 T. hot water
· 2 T. flaxseed meal
· 1 ½ c. white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
· ½ cup oats, ground finely in food processor
· 2 T. wheat bran
· 1 t. baking powder
· ½ t. baking soda
· 1/3 c. organic cane sugar
· ½ t. salt
· 2 ¼ c. buttermilk
· 1 organic egg
· 2 T. organic butter, melted
· ½ c. organic mini chocolate chips
1. Mix together the hot water and flaxseed meal, set aside.
2. In large bowl combine whole wheat pastry flour, ground oats, wheat bran, baking powder and soda and cane sugar.
3. In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk and egg, add the soaked flaxseed meal and water and finally the melted butter.
4. Preheat nonstick griddle over medium heat.
5. Combine liquid and dry ingredients and stir with spoon until just combined.
6. Pour onto greased griddle in ¼ cup portions. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips over top. Cook until bubbles begin to appear then flip over and cook 2-3 more minutes. Serve with fresh fruit and you’re off to a great start!