I am sure this will seem like a no brainer to some of you, but I do hope to others this is enlightening. The following recipe is a simple one, one with few ingredients but lovely and flavorful ingredients. It is a wonderful dish to bring for a picnic, a wonderful dish to have for lunch and my favorite thing to enjoy for dinner- especially during those hot summer months!
Especially in the summer I like to eat light and I like to eat what I buy at the farmers market. And my favorite summer dinner is a big, delicious salad of caprese salad. Oh, yeah. Fresh, creamy mozzarella….juicy, vibrant, sweet tomatoes…..herby, anisey basil….and to finish it off some delicious sea salt (try the salts from Lezzet Spices, they’re fabulous!) and a gorgeously decadent drizzle of rich olive oil. Really, can summer dinner get better than that? Oh, yes. Add a glass of lovely Italian white wine and you are well on your way to joining me in one of my favorite summer delights. Mangia!
Serves 2 for dinner, 4 for salad portion
- 4 ripest summer tomatoes
- 2 balls fresh Buffalo mozzarella
- big handful fresh basil (hopefully off your plant at home!)
- olive oil
- Slice the tomatoes into 1” rounds.
- Slice the mozzarella into similar sized thickness.
- Arrange the tomato-mozzarella-basil alternating between the three. Finish with a nice drizzle of olive oil and a generous pinch of good quality sea salt.