The other night my girlfriends came over for an impromptu dinner, which are my favorite kind of dinners! I like the last minute girlie dinner dates because if planned in advance my brain swirls around with all the different things I want to make and I really have a hard time deciding. So, if it’s a last minute thing I have to cook the way I truly enjoy-simple, easy and with what I have on hand.
So this week dinner was an Asian noodle stir-fry (recipe on the last posting!) with tofu, red peppers, snow peas and rice noodles. Yum. And for dessert the girls brought over the goods for a sundae bar. Double yum. So I decided to throw together a hot fudge sauce to make the sundaes extra special. Let me tell you- make sure you send the extra sauce home with your friends because you will eat any leftover fudge straight from the fridge with a spoon!
As I was pouring the fudge into to-go containers for the ladies I thought-“I am going to make another big batch of this hot fudge, pour into cute glass jars, tie a ribbon around it and give it to the sweet mommies in my life!” So, hopefully this super duper easy recipe will inspire you to give your mom a homemade gift to help celebrate her special day.
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate (I prefer Scharffenberger bittersweet, but it can be a bit too dark for some people’s taste!), chopped
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 T. liquor of choice (chambord, grand marnier, rum, bailey’s or just vanilla)
- Combine whipping cream, honey, brown sugar, cocoa powder and half of the chocolate in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 7-8 minutes until the chocolate is melted and the fudge is bubbling.
- Remove from heat, add the remaining chocolate, unsalted butter and liquor. Whisk together until chocolate is melted and sprinkle a touch of sea salt into the sauce.
- Allow to cool a bit before serving.