Sometimes there are mornings when I have what seems like a luxurious amount of time for sipping coffee, making beautiful breakfasts and sitting back to enjoy them. And then there is the other 98% of the time. You know those mornings, when the minutes seem to turn into seconds and all of a sudden you’re rushing and don’t have time for anything!
Those mornings happen frequently for me. I usually have menus to send to my chefs, client emails to respond to, photos to edit all before I leave for my first clients in the morning. But I am a huge proponent of breakfast. I truly believe that you must start your day with something. I really try not to have anything with sugar in the morning because it leaves me craving it the rest of the day. Plus getting some vegetables into your body first thing in the morning makes your belly happy and will help brain power (which you know we ALL need extra of in the mornings!). Studies also show if you start your with something nutritious then you are already on your way to setting yourself up for successful food choices the rest of the day!
This frittata is what I make a couple times of week when time is running away from me. Once you get the knack of it you can toss it together in literally 3 minutes and let it cook while you finish getting ready for the day. Morning multi-tasking is what I survive on! I like to throw in any extra roasted or grilled veggies from the week, add in some extra chicken from dinner the night before, top with smoked salmon, throw in a handful of spinach. The options really are endless. Just remember-the point of this is to be easy so don’t fuss! If all you have is baby spinach in the fridge then use baby spinach! I promise it will still be delicious and much better than that packaged granola bar you were eyeing in the pantry…..
Quick Morning Frittata
- 2 eggs
- handful of baby spinach
- 2-3 T. favorite crumbled or shredded cheese
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- Warm a small (8″) nonstick pan over medium heat.
- While warming whisk together the 2 eggs, add a pinch of salt.
- Add a small swirl of butter or olive oil and pour the eggs into the pan.
- Top with the spinach and cheese, cover, turn heat to low and let cook for 5-6 minutes until the eggs are set. *this is when you can walk away and finish your makeup or get dressed!
- Slide onto a plate, top with avocado and enjoy. *Sometimes I roll this up and wrap it in parchment paper and then a paper towel. It travels pretty easily as a breadless burrito when I need to grab it and eat in the car.
Happy, healthy eating!